Garmin Connect 2021 Global Fitness Report Finds Increase in Fitness Activity
Garmin today released its Garmin Connect 2021 Global Fitness Report… “Providing an overview of the activities of millions of Garmin smartwatch users around the world as the COVID-19 pandemic enters its second year.”
The company notes that whether they take the trails, inclines, or even the yoga mat, Garmin customers have recorded more activity than ever before in the Garmin Connect community fitness app, with double-digit increases in nearly all categories of activities.
“In the face of ongoing lockdowns and the emergence of new variants of COVID-19, Garmin users have experienced a record number of fitness activities in 2021,” said Joe Schrick, vice president of Garmin, fitness segment.
“We already knew that our customers are performance-driven and resilient, and the data proves that even a global pandemic will not stand in the way of their relentless drive to ‘beat yesterday’.”
The number of indoor activities recorded by Garmin users has increased twice as much as outdoor activities year over year. Fitness sessions that took place indoors were up 20.54% in 2021 compared to 2020, with Pilates and yoga in the lead.
Wellness activities also experienced strong growth, with a sharp increase in breathing sessions. Outdoor activities in the elements increased 9.52%, with gravel cycling recording the strongest growth, followed by winter sports.
2021 vs 2020, year-over-year percentage increases for Garmin customer favorite activities:
- Pilates: 108.30%
- Respiration: 82.76%
- Gravel cycling: 49.55%
- Yoga: 45.55%
- Winter sports: 39.16%
- Walking: 37.13%
- Golf: 28.35%
- Swimming: 22.48%
- Hiking: 19.57%
- Running: 11.58%
Garmin Connect data also provides remarkable regional information year over year, including:
- South America achieved 125.41% more breathing activity, 87.51% more gravel hikes, and 37.6% more trails on average.
- Western Europe saw an increase of 59.86% more gravel bike rides, 14.52% more trail runs and 65.57% more yoga activities.
- Eastern European countries saw an 85.02% increase in yoga activities and a 66.13% increase in gravel walks.
- North Americans added 34.39% more yoga activities and 28.54% more gravel hikes.
- CAMENA (Central Asia, Middle East and North Africa) recorded 217.11% more Pilates activities, 57.53% more gravel trips and 44.96% more swimming activities.
- Central America achieved 54.49% more gravel trips and 43.98% more swimming activities.
Fitness activity recorded using Garmin smartwatches increased in all areas in 2021, including boating, rock climbing, hang-gliding, HIIT workouts, rowing and rock climbing.
Comments are closed.